Richard P. McKenney
Director since October 2017
Business experience: Mr. McKenney is the President and Chief Executive Officer of Unum Group, a workplace financial protection benefits company. He has served as President since April 2015 and as Chief Executive Officer since May 2015. Mr. McKenney served as Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Unum from 2009 to 2015. Prior to joining Unum in 2009, he served as Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer at Sun Life Financial, Inc., an international financial services company, from 2006 to 2009. Mr. McKenney began his career at General Electric Company, transitioning his roles from manufacturing to financial leadership.
Other public company directorships:
- Unum Group since 2015
Skills and qualifications:
- Chief executive experience: Mr. McKenney’s experience as a current CEO provides valuable strategic and operational expertise to our Board gained by leading a large company through the current economic and regulatory environment.
- Corporate governance: As the current President, CEO and board member of a public company, Mr. McKenney has gained significant corporate governance expertise that is valuable to our Board.
- Financial reporting and accounting: Through his past experience as CFO of several companies, Mr. McKenney brings extensive financial reporting and accounting expertise to our Board.
- Financial services industry expertise: As the current President and CEO of a financial services company, Mr. McKenney brings to our Board discussions expertise in managing the business environment facing financial services companies and important perspective regarding the regulatory environment for financial services companies.
- Risk management: Through his experience as the leader of a financial services company, Mr. McKenney brings experience identifying, assessing and managing risk exposures of large, complex financial firms.